Women comics/ Pretty Deadly, Diary of a Dominatrix


I really enjoyed reading Pretty Deadly in class. The color pallet was mesmerizing, the line work had a real gritty feel the played well with the western tone. I found it interesting that I wouldn’t have necessarily pegged this author as female. It really did a good job of conveying the flavor of a western, and the pacing fit very good with this. I found myself very surprised by Diary of a Dominatrix. I did not think that I would have liked it as nearly as much as I did. I really liked the art style, especially how the eyes and hair were drawn. The format its self that was built to resemble an instructional book felt very fresh to me. I liked how on some pages the objects would be scattered around, it felt very free and organic. I thought that the techniques for shading were also very cool, not a lot of the comics through this course seemed to employ cross hatching variations. The piece as a whole felt very playful, using paper doll pages and step by step tutorials. I also liked how the boyfriend was included, it gave insight to a different part of the character, rounding her out in a way. It also felt that it cleared up some misconceptions about the profession in a way. She felt more playful and happier in the panels where he was introduced. Throughout this course I have found a lot of different things that I enjoy that I would never have thought to read before, this being a great example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretations of une semaine de bonte by Max Ernst (in class)

Underground Comics/ Tits and Clits, Mr. Natural