The Comic Book/ Heroes, TinTin

I found this week to be very informative, beforehand I had thought that comic books aimed for adults came much later. Seeing some of the comic books in class as well as recalling those I had already been exposed to, their content made much more sense after learning about the restrictions place on the industry at the time. Many of them had always seemed simple, almost mind numbingly so in some cases. The color use felt like an after thought and the art work its self was plain feeling. It was almost like some artist gave up when the restrictions were put into place. I also feel that it might have been the combination of having a surge of new artist that were lass experienced since the sudden growth in popularity created such a demand.
When I was younger I frequented antique shops, and when ever there was a comics section I would find myself drawn to the classics illustrated.  I think this is because I appreciated the cover art, which were paintings. They always seemed much cooler then the simple line art of other comic book covers. One thing that I found interesting while going thought the resources were the origin stories of the heroes. They seem so simple and rushed, like they were almost an afterthought. Comparing it to the present, so much has been added. The origins are more detailed and added to, to the point where whole comic books are developed to that alone. Seeing what they started out as is almost humorous to a point.

I enjoyed the TinTin stories, the format reminded me a lot of Little Nemo, probably because of the larger size. The backgrounds are always so cool and in great contrast to the iconic character design of TinTin. I also like how Herge takes his readers all over the world, seeing the drawings of the different environments and characters is very inspiring. But despite the high level of art work, there is also a large amount of contributing text, making it feel more like a graphic novel. I feel that the movie adaptation did a very good job, and a lot of the shots they incorporated helped back up the feeling of the panel flow of the original comic source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretations of une semaine de bonte by Max Ernst (in class)

Underground Comics/ Tits and Clits, Mr. Natural