Web Comics

I have always hound a lot of delight in web comics, I love how much variety is out there. Each has their own feel and area that they typically weigh in on. Looking at the link to flash comic on the webpage, I really enjoyed the discussion about messing with time in the medium. The manipulation of speed with panel placement and even how fast the reader chooses to click. I also really enjoyed the concept of layering panels one on top of each other, this is something I had not considered previously. Simon Hanselmann’s strip was interesting. The content wasn’t really something I was drawn to, but I did find sympathy in the owl character. I felt bad for him, and in someways a bit of connection with how he would try to better his friends or expand their minds and just be shut down for his troubles. The one I enjoyed the most was The Perry Bible Fellowship. I always see a lot of his strips around different website but I forget some of the times that they are the same strip because of how much the style of drawing changes. I love how the last panel always packs such a big punch, they way its structured is able to create so much tension and anticipation because you know that the joke is coming but the strip is so kooky and random that you never no what that joke will be. I also appreciate how dark the creator is willing to go for a shock value joke. I tend to find that web comics are more likely to go dark, almost like they feel a greater creative freedom or know that their comics will find their audience across the internet. I find it a little sad and harrowing to be typing about web comics on the eve of the net neutrality decision, because I am worried about how they will be affected. This could really through a massive wrench into things, and it’s scary.
Another side note that could prove to be an interesting discussion would be about memes in my opinion, and whether or not they should be considered comics. True most are photo based, but then there are others that are drawing based. Then there’s the evolution question where you end up with a seemingly endless list of variations of the same idea (this happened recently to one of owl turds comics about a stolen bike). Are all of the variations comics, or just the original source? This could be a big can of worms to open, but it feels like such a large part of the internet anymore that it deserves some contemplation.

Some other web comics I enjoy and would recommend linking are:
Owl turd  (very relatable topics)
Web comic name (uses the punch line Oh No)
Sarah’s scribbles (woman’s comic panel)
The oatmeal
The awkward yeti/ heart and brain
Saturday morning breakfast cereal (very text based lengthy comics but always worth reading through for the punchline, more sophisticated ideas and references)
Lackadasiy (more of a ongoing novel with cats, very good artwork, the artist also posts concept and tutorials)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretations of une semaine de bonte by Max Ernst (in class)

Comic Strip/ Little Nemo, Calvin and Hobbs, Peanuts