Persepolis


I found Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis it be very visually interesting. It has a mush simpler style that other pieces in this class, but just as impactful. At times the panels remind me of hieroglyphics, they have a flatness quality that still shows the actions of the characters. As a whole the drawing style feels very reminiscent of a child’s drawings, which fits the narrative. It feels that the reader is being told a story through child’s eyes. A lot of the imagery use, like the people as flames, reminds me of folk art more than panels. I was impressed on how the author was addressing something so large, yet able to still make it feel personal. I think that the child’s view was really important and led to a lot of memorable incites. One that stuck out to me was when the adults are recounting how a mans body was mistaken as a victim. Listening the girl tries to make since of how cadaver, cancer, death, and murder could have possibly accumulated into laughter. The adults are so preoccupied with how their own goals and ideas exist in the story that the over look the more simplifies elements of the story, the elements that a child would focus on. I think that it illustrated the difference in how adults and children view the world very well. I found this to be a very interesting read, and I could really appreciate the insights it provided into another country and culture. It leaves me eager to explore other world comics in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretations of une semaine de bonte by Max Ernst (in class)

Comic Strip/ Little Nemo, Calvin and Hobbs, Peanuts