Blood Child

1.           An exploration of the human race as a resource to an alien species has been common place in literature before, however this short story dives deeper into it by proposing a situation in which both need each other to survive. The society has evolved from its past to connect and give more to the host’s role, rather than to use them solely as organisms. Another aspect that I particularly found interesting was the projection of the boy’s indecisiveness. He constantly questions his thoughts about the situation humans are in; that he is in. to myself this is crucial to the story, the boy having been raised in a society where this is already in place. This is all he knows, yet in such situations it always seems that the human mind seeks to question, that it is against nature to be content with what information is fed to you. While some of the descriptive language did rise an emotional response, I was more engrossed with the overall premise of an uncertain balance between enslavement and genuine connection.
2.           In the story I was able to connect with the element of boy’s apprehension of killing an animal. Having never done this myself, I was able to be caught up in the authors delivery of emotions and felt even more strongly with the added element of time constraint; if he takes too long the man well die. I was also able to connect with the creature when the author laid out hints that the species is not very adept at reading emotions/faces. I found that I could relate to this separation by not being extremely sociable and in effect sometimes missing the readability in others that peers would detect easily.

3.           If I were to adapt this to a film medium I would make sure to use a variety of closure ups when displaying the creatures, and only very minimal (if at all) usage of long shots. The reason for this is to keep the viewer guessing at what the alien looks like, human nature is to feel apprehension towards that which we do not have full visual information on. I would also keep the atmosphere of the sets and lighting dark and softly lit, taking place at night. When showing the creature in movement I would use CGI, but for the majority of shots I would employ prosthetics and models as I find the visual out put is of greater believability and display of connection with actors. I would also have the setting resemble British farmland, as this is what comes to mind with the livestock component.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretations of une semaine de bonte by Max Ernst (in class)